Minutes of the AGM 2019

Tuesday 8th January 2019 at 7.00pm

At Addington Manor Equestrian Centre, Bucks

1. Opening welcome address by Jillie Rogers BHSI – Chairman.

2. Attendance and apologies for absence

Those present:

Jillie Rogers (Chairman), Ann Bostock (Vice Chairman), Dianne Roberts (Secretary), Debbie Follett (Treasurer), Jeremy Michaels, David Sheerin, Alison Craig and Danny Anholt (Committee).

Faith Ponsonby, Margie Craib, Judith Murphy, Andrew Bennie, Tim Downes, Dan Spencer, Rob Lovatt, Melissa Troup, Brendan Bergin, Ernest Dillon, Carol Bennitt, Nicole Biggs, Ann Peate, Sue Payne, Sandra Morrison, Jenny Ward, Fred Hodges, Julian Campbell, Elizabeth Allen, Ellie Halsey, Mark Cuncliffe, Becky Monk, Kylie Roddy, Lisa Morris, Clare Chamberlayne, Linda De Matteo,  Liz Eaton, Sue Ricketts, Biddy Brasted Watts, Jennifer Ham, Simon Somers, Karen Whiston, Tessa Ryley, Maggie Doel, Sam Champney Warrener, Ruth Baxter, Oonagh Meyer, Katie Partrick, Charlotte Tarrant, Alec Miles, Beth Boyes, Islay Auty, Victoria Gallantree, Kirsten Owen, William Blane, Mandy Chiffon, Sabrina Jones, Lynsey Gammon, Judy Harvey, Amy Bannister Bell, Alice Bannister Bell, Sophie Cox, Alex Hulme, Sarah Thorne, Jo Shields, Helen Martin, Gemma Porter Rawlings, Sally Jackson, Cherry Elvin, Hilary Westropp, Mandy Luesley, Nettie Christey, Angelo Telatin, Bryony Wilson, Sarah MacDonald, Sarah Stewart, Jayne Smart.

Apologies for absence were received from the following:

Eric Smiley, Frances Cattell, Vikki Hayton, Sue Charters, Carol Broad, Hayley Newman, Caro Haynes, Rosie Lord, Lizzel Winter, Becky Cooper, Hilary Hughes, Pammy Hutton, Liz Fellows, Nick Gauntlett, Wendy Suddes, Sam York, Nick Turner and Grainne Sugars

3. Minutes of last AGM (held 3rd January 2018 at Addington Manor)

Were approved as a true and accurate record and signed.

4. Matters Arising from those minutes

There were no matters arising.

5. Chairman’s Review for the Year 2018   Attached.

6. Treasurer’s Report for the Year 

See financial statement from Debbie Follett (also available after the meeting on website).  Balance at the end of 2017 was £18,712.42, the income received for 2018 was £20,120.00 and outgoings were £20,232.99.  Therefore, the balance at the end of 2018 was £18,599.43, making a loss for 2018 of £112.99.

There are 210 members on the database, 30 of whom are new Stage 5 Performance Coaches.  Facebook boasts 141 members in its closed group.

7. Dates for 2019

7th March National Equine Forum – London

15th March at Wellington Training – Caroline Moore Training Day – David Sheerin

Ingestre Stables Training Day – to be organised in the Spring by Linda De Matteo and include flat and jump. 

3rd May Badminton Course Walk with Nick Turner – Ann Bostock to arrange

Judy Harvey Day – Ann Bostock to arrange

Millfield Training Day – Danny Anholt to arrange

25th June Irish F&I Day – Faith Ponsonby

Show Jumping Training Day with Alan Fazakerley in the Summer – Sue Ricketts

Hickstead Show Jumping – Jillie to arrange

British Dressage National Championships – to include observation and study groups.

6th September Burghley Course walk with Eric Smiley

15th September Talland Training Day – Jeremy Michaels and Judith Murphy

December – discussion of a box at Olympia or similar.

8. Meet the present Committee/Election of Committee for 2019

The present committee of Jillie Rogers, Ann Bostock, Debbie Follett, David Sheerin, Di Roberts, Alison Craig, Jeremy Michaels and Danny Anholt introduced themselves to the members.

Committee members up for re-election were Ann Bostock, David Sheerin and Sam York.  Jillie Rogers was up for her final term of 3 years.  All were unanimously re-elected by the members present.

Both Jeremy Michaels and Dianne Roberts were stepping down from the Committee due to work commitments.  Both Jeremy and Dianne were presented with Thank-you gifts for their hard work on the Committee.  Alison Craig will take over the role as Hon Secretary from Dianne for the near future.

As Jeremy and Dianne stepped down, both Mandy Luesley and Amy Bannister Bell were introduced to members for the 2019 committee.

Mandy was voted onto the Committee, nominated by Nicole Biggs and seconded by Margie Craib.

Amy was voted onto the Committee, nominated by Sally Jackson and seconded by Alex Robarts and Tim Downes.

The dates of the Annual Course for 2020 and 2021 will be:

7th and 8th January 2020

5th and 6th January 2021

Put these in your diary now.

9. Any Other Business

9.1 David Sheerin addressed the F&I AGM to inform members of a BHS GM which was held on the 5th January at Abbey Park about the proposed changes to the BHS Constitution.  At the beginning of the meeting an EGM was called by 12 people regarding a loss of confidence in the Board & the Chairman of the BHS.  However, by the end of the day this request was withdrawn by those 12 people. There was much discussion throughout the day and the outcome was that the Board of Trustees will return to the Constitution as no vote was made.  The BHS will communicate after taking legal advice as to how the vote for the constitutional changes can be concluded. 

9.2 Simon Somers brought up two AOB points:

  1. The F&I page in BH Magazine should be reflected to be F&I page (not anything to do with the BHS).  Those who read the magazine should know what the page is.  The feeling of all members was unanimous.   Jillie will discuss with Ann Bayliss on Wednesday 9th during her visit.  This could be a good way to advertise F&I Association and members and all present felt that it was very important that the page remains F&I. 
  2. The F&I Association has gone from strength to strength, this has raised the profile of the BHS and he strongly felt that the F&I Association do not need to lose their identity.

10. Remembrance:

There was a minute’s silence in respect and remembrance of Helen Webber FBHS and Lynne Baldwin BHSI who both sadly passed away during 2018. 

11. Presentation of Awards

Gifts and thanks were given to all those who ran Study Groups during the course:

Islay Auty, Mandy Luesley, Jeremy Michaels, Sarah MacDonald, Tim Downes, Carol Bennitt, Kylie Roddy, Sabrina Jones, Danny Anholt, Andrew Bennie, Jenny Ward, Judith Murphy and David Sheerin.

The CEO of the British Horse Society – Lynn Petersen presented the awards:

The Pat Smallwood Award

The wonderful Pat Smallwood trophy “Wistful” uniquely sculpted by the late Jo Knowles FBHS was presented this year to Jeremy Michaels FBHS. This award is presented to the person that the Committee of the F&I Association felt had put exceptional effort into the Equestrian Industry and F&I in a voluntary capacity. 

The Tom Searle Award 

This new award, now in its second year, was donated by David Sheerin in remembrance of Tom Searle and will be awarded to a person who the Association considers demonstrates all the elements of being Supportive, Involved and Inspirational within the Association, just as Tom was.  This award was presented by Lynn Petersen to Amy Bannister Bell.

The Achievement Award,

This award which originated in 2016 is for a member who has shown determination and commitment to the path they want to follow, having empathy and understanding with the welfare of the horse at heart.  This was awarded to Caroline Moore FBHS and will be presented to her in March at Wellington Riding.

The BHS Fellowship Certificate was presented to Mandy Luesley, Sarah MacDonald and Andrew Bennie by this year’s trainers Corrine Bracken and Adam Kemp FBHS.

19.55 hrs End of AGM. 

Posted in AGM